header photo

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Intel Core i5 750 Overclock with Gigabyte QuickBoost

I dove into the realms of overclocking today with Gigabyte's included overclocking tool that came with my motherboard. It is a very easy way to overclock although I could see one getting into trouble by using this utility. The tool has three settings: faster, turbo, and twin turbo. Due to the fact that I still only have the stock Intel cooler, I limited myself to the faster and turbo options.

Gigabyte QuickBoost Utility

  • Baseline
    • Base Clock: 133MHz
    • 4 thread max multiplier: 21
    • CPU clock: 2798 MHz
    • CPU voltage: 1.20V
    • 100% load temp: 64
    • Intel Turbo mode: on
    • Memory clock: 1333MHz
  • Faster
    • Base Clock: 140MHz
    • 4 thread max multiplier: 21
    • CPU clock: 2940 MHz
    • CPU voltage: 1.20V
    • 100% load temp: 66
    • Intel Turbo mode: on
    • Memory clock: 1400MHz
  • Turbo
    • Base Clock: 150MHz
    • 4 thread max multiplier: 21
    • CPU clock: 3150 MHz
    • CPU voltage: 1.23V
    • 100% load temp: 69
    • Intel Turbo mode: off
    • Memory clock: 1500MHz
  • Twin Turbo (Did not test)
    • Base Clock: 200MHz
    • 4 thread max multiplier: 19
    • CPU clock: 3800 MHz
    • CPU voltage: NA
    • 100% load temp: NA
    • Intel Turbo mode: off
    • Memory clock: NA

I was nervous about selecting the different settings since the utility would not provide voltage and memory clock information. The turbo mode took my memory from its stock 1333MHz to 1500MHz. Although my memory happens to be able to run at those speeds, I did not know where it would end up until the computer restarted with the settings saved to the bios.


Supreme Commander Benchmark
I ran through the Supreme Commander benchmark at the baseline, faster and turbo settings to see if any gains in performance can be seen. I ran the benchmark at 1920x1080 resolution. Results are below.

Unfortunately, it seems that no gain in performance can be seen according to the average frame rates. It is interesting how the baseline settings resulted in the highest minimum frames per second. I do not understand this at all. It seems though that this Core i5 750 can handle the stress of this game very well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At 1920x1080 I am guessing you are more limited by the GPU. I would drop the resolution quite a bit to determine if there is any variation.

onlyjus said...

Yea, it definitely seems that I am GPU limited, I might play around with it...

janet said...

I'm in the middle of an Core i5 build and stumbled upon UR blog.
Cool stuff. I'm gunna follow U.
I have an old fender I'm gunna sand down...one of these days. After I finish my PC build &,,,,,
JK

Post a Comment